Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Old People...

I'm gona be honest, I actually really like old folk. They always have a tale to tell, their wise(kinda) and sometimes there absolutely hilarious. I find that a recurring trait with them is that they love to pay for everything with the exact change. I was at work today and an older gentleman came in and he was buying a bunch of carriage bolts. His total was $17.07 cents. Now what I found hilarious was that as soon as he heard what the total was his game face appeared. He was on a mission now, he had to pay the exact amount, he did not want any change from me! So he slams a ten dollar bill on the counter, the a five and finally two ones. "Seventeen bucks!" he exclaims. Then he tags his wife in, she's up and its her time to shine! She slams a nickel on top of the bills then looks up at me with an anxious expression and says "ooohh, bare with me I know I have two pennies, just hang on!" she starts to frantically rummage through her purse like a sniffer dog rummages through mud when it's looking for truffles. "One penny!!..."- she yells whilst slamming on the counter whilst slamming it on the counter..."just one more..." She's going crazy at this point... looking through her whole wallet, underneath the credit cards, behind the photo of her grandchildren... then she finally finds that infamous penny. Just about breaks the counter as she slams the finally penny onto the counter whilst yelling "Seventeen dollars and seven cents!!" Their look of glee was hilarious. They were truly proud of themselves and all I can say is that I am too.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Time seems to fly when I'm with grandparents. What I love the most is hearing about the times when they were my age. Sometimes they explain about the times when they were in war or what they had to go through. It's really interesting. And they always have a lesson to teach at the way end (:

    ReplyDelete