Thursday, July 1, 2010

To be or not to be Scottish?!...

It's always nice when someone hears the faint remnants of my Scottish accent. However, as much as I appreciate their enthusiasm and their interest in my heritage. It get's a little weird when they ask me to be Scottish or do something Scottish. It's extremely difficult to please the people who request such things as I have know idea what they expect me to do. So I usually just stand there and say with a very awkward and confused smile on my face "I'm doing it, I being Scottish right now". Usually after that line I'll see the person's face that previously had an excited expression of anticipation fade into disappointed and deflated frown, as if to say "was that it!". Like I said before, I have know idea what they expect me to do, and judging from the disappointed sighs of sadness I get when I can't seem to be Scottish enough for them, I can only assume they expected me to pull out a set of bagpipes from my back pocket whilst metamorphosing into Mel Gibson from Braveheart... It's not easy being Scottish.

No comments:

Post a Comment